Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Will Not Be Swayed...Not Even By Success

suc·cess [suhk-ses] -noun
the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.

per·se·ver·ance [pur-suh-veer-uhns]-noun
steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement... Or success

I am writing today from a place of love and gratitude. My personal fund raising goal for this marathon has not only been met, it has been exceeded! Thank you all so much for your grace, charity, love, support, and compassion. Because of you, people are finding hope and getting well again. A thousand thanks would not be enough to express my gratitude.

A funny thing happens when a major goal is accomplished. There is a sense of satisfaction followed by a potential "termination of attempts or endeavors". Imagine what can happen if one pushes past that point of success. I feel proud of this accomplishment but with 2 months to go, I know I can do more.

At the May 17th kick-off meeting a Team In Training Honored Teammate, Audrey Duffy, shared her personal story with us about her battle with lymphoma. She has undergone chemotherapy, a bone marrow transplant and a stem cell transplant since she was diagnosed in 2002. This year, she is completing her 20th event with Team In Training! She was also a top fund raiser.
When I heard her speak at the meeting, I was inspired and filled with hope. I made a silent vow to be a top fund raiser. As time went on, I started to doubt my abilities. Not only was I facing physical obstacles, I was also far behind Brian in the fund raising campaign. He met his goal in July. Now that I have seen what can be accomplished, I have a fresh determination. I have been given the gift of seeing that I can pass limitations, achieve bigger goals and cross that finish line! I know I will look back on this moment as a life changing experience.

Training has been such a remarkable experience. I ran 7 miles with the team on Saturday, 2 of which were up a pretty steep hill. We are starting to see those San Francisco hills in our minds. I am 35 seconds faster per mile than when I started. I won't give up, for
"I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep,
and miles to go before I sleep"
-Robert Frost

So my question to you guys is
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE LIFE SAVING HEROES!?!

We are doing it together. Your comments, your encouragement, your congratulations are the reason I keep going. I love you.

Thank you. You are my heroes.

To my anonymous donor: Wow! What an amazing gift. I am humbled by your donation and by your selfless act of kindness without the need for recognition or thanks. You represent the purity of a virtuous act.



No comments: