Monday, June 2, 2008

FIRST WEEK OF TRAINING

Our first week of training officially started on May 24th at 7 AM.

That's right, Brian and I dragged ourselves out of bed at 6 AM on a Saturday to go run in the rain!

Earlier that week, I began training on my own at the local park (North Hollywood park). One lap around the park is equal to one mile. I ran two laps each time. Here is a breakdown of the days:

Day one - Sunday, May 18th: Brian and I got up at 9 to run at the park. By the time we got there, it was SO HOT outside. We were sweating like crazy! I ran two laps using Brett's (our trainer) "run-walk" method. I was supposed to run for 3 minutes, walk for one, run for 3 minutes, walk for one. What I actually ended up doing was: run for 3 min, walk for 1, run for 3 min, walk for 2, run for 2 min, walk for 2, HUFF HUFF PUFF. I was cooked! I spent the rest of the day nursing a headache. Good lesson for hydration before running.

Day two - Wednesday, May 21st: I got up and ran in the morning before work. I had a MUCH better time of it. It was cooler outside because it was earlier. I was able to stick to the 3 min, 1 min method. I was winded, but feeling pretty good!

Day three - Thursday, May 22nd: This is our cross-training day. I went to the gym and rode the exercise bike. It was good. I am learning that I would much rather exercise outside, though. I felt pretty strong!

Day four - Saturday, May 24th: 6 AM on a Saturday?!? That's right. Brian and I got our asses out of bed and went to Balboa park in the rain for our first group training day. Brett taught us the proper way to run (on the toes rather than the heel). By the time we started to run, it stopped raining. We ran just over two miles. I felt great! I could tell my calves were taking a beating from this new running style. Running on your toes keeps your joints from hurting too much. This is the day I began walking like an old lady - hobble hobble.

















(Above) Brian and I icing our legs after our first training day.

Stay tuned for week 2!

No comments: